Literature-site

post released sites here made with phpwcms
Alexander Schlegel

Literature-site

Post by Alexander Schlegel »

A lot of sites are still missing, but the main concept is ready.
It`s my first work in phpWCMS, but I´m sure it will not be the last one. :)
Link: http://www.kafkaesk.de

Many greetings
Alexander
rookie

Post by rookie »

Love the color scheme you used. The site design and content work well together. :)
Alexander Schlegel

rookie wrote:Love the color scheme you used. The site design and content work well together. :)
Thanks! :)

Greetings,
Alexander
isac

Post by isac »

I like it very much! :shock: Nice colors and negative space

But i think centered layout works better!!
Alexander Schlegel

isac wrote:I like it very much! :shock: Nice colors and negative space

But i think centered layout works better!!
Thanks for the compliment.
Hmm, my english is not the best one: what do you mean with "negative space"?

Many greetings,
Alexander
SNap

Post by SNap »

i like it, too. just one thing i don't: the left-aligned Design (Oliver did that, too) I would prefer a centered layout ;)
'welcome to the real world!' datensysteme-lenk
isac

Post by isac »

Alexander Schlegel wrote:Hmm, my english is not the best one: what do you mean with "negative space"?
Alexander,
Negative space is a design principle, I found some good words about

"White space and web page layout/design
White space, also known as negative space, is the term describing open space between design elements. It can be between letters, words, or paragraphs of text; space in and outside of graphics, and between all of the elements of the page. It is essential for providing spatial relationships between visual items, and actually guides your reader's eye from one point to another.

White space is an important layout technique often overlooked by the inexperienced designer. While some artists concentrate heavily on what to put in, they can overlook what to leave out. A design that is to be visually appealing must also be easy on the eyes. Without an adequate amount of white space, text would be unreadable, graphics would lose their emphasis, and there would be no balance between the elements on a page.

White space takes on an added importance on the web because more of a strain is placed on the eyes than with print material. You'll find that going through the same amount of web pages as print pages can be more visually demanding, one of the reasons being that you usually find yourself staring up at monitor flickering pixels coarser than printed ink. White space provides our brains with much-needed breathing room to absorb the material displayed before us.

Treat white space as more than just a background. Treat it as an integral part to your page design. You'll find it increases your layout's appeal with less visual "noise," while augmenting the visual power of your message."

"White space is a design element. How you use your negative space is as important a consideration as where you place your headline, text, or images. Negative space can be described as the path that leads your viewers' eyes to your content.
If the pathway is wide, it's easier for the viewer to read and navigate. But if the pathway is narrow, your viewer will get lost and give up.
This is a perpetual battle with employers and clients, who usually want every square millimeter filled with content, not realizing that this makes it much less likely the viewer will make the extra effort to find his way through the narrow path and read ANY of your content.
I call this thinking "crowbar design" -- the idea that the more things you can squeeze into a page, the better chance you have that readers will find something that interests them. In reality, you are only decreasing your chances that they will bother to read the page at all."

thats it :wink:
Alexander Schlegel

Ah, that`s very interesting. I have never heard about it before. Thanks for the information, isac! :)
captaincrash

Like the site...

Post by captaincrash »

Like the site, how did you get the sub menu (on the left) to work in conjuction with the main menu (across the top) in such away that it links are always available.

I'm trying to implement the same kind of menu with my own site, wihout much luck!
Alexander Schlegel

What do You want to know exactly? How it is possible to show only the links of a certain category in {NAV_TABLE_COLUMN} or how you can get the links in {NAV_ROW} active?

Greetings,
Alexander
captaincrash

Hello

Post by captaincrash »

Thanks for getting back to me, both are intriguing but the one I'm most interested is the category specific nav_table_column.
Alexander Schlegel

You can select the tree you want to show within the template by using the id-number. Every structure level in the site structure has its own id-number, which is the one where you can let begin {NAV_TABLE_COLUMN}. On kafkaesk.de the Kafka-section starts with the id=1. So you have to write within the template: {NAV_TABLE_COLUMN:1}.

To {NAV_ROW} active you can take a look here: http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.p ... ght=#13591

Many greetings,
Alexander
captaincrash

Post by captaincrash »

So does that mean you have different templates for differnt areas of your site? I'm trying to avoid using multiple templates if possible.
Alexander Schlegel

captaincrash wrote:So does that mean you have different templates for differnt areas of your site? I'm trying to avoid using multiple templates if possible.
Yes, that`s true, I have for every main-section an own template.
argos

Post by argos »

Ooooooohhh.... very beautiful and inspiritional! A work of art!
Regards,
Jurgen Nijhuis
http://www.argosmedia.nl